Tuesday, February 9, 2010

A Brand New Ending

"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending"...Carl Bard

What a great meditation for the beginning of a new year. Or the beginning of a new day. Or the beginning of the rest of your life.

This really does make sense even for a single day. You can't get out of bed and start the day again, but you can take a deep breath and make the rest of the day end differently than it otherwise might have. What a great way to think about angry, sad or just plain crappy moments. They don't have to dictate the rest of the day. And then extrapolate this out for a week, month, year or lifetime. That's a very Buddhist concept. You have what you have in this moment. Nothing else exists. Until the next moment.

For me, I"m thinking long term and these are things I think about working on every day to achieve a brand new ending:
* Healthier eating/drinking habits (and being nice to myself in the process).
* I'm still working on being nice to my (now achey) shoulder.
* Being the parent I want to be.
* Believing in myself.

(Yes I realize these are all over the board, but that's the way the brain works).

I hope everyone has a great and differently ending Tuesday.