Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Derby Lite 3 Years Later

I started skating in November 2007, one of the 13 originals (although I didn't have my skates at the very first practice, I actually sat and watched), and started blogging about Life in the Rolling Lane in July of 2008. I just re-read some of my older posts. Wow. Those two years have gone fast and covered a lot of ground.

Sunday, was THE very first Derby Lite Park District Program skate. We have expanded. I high fived B and said "we have a business". It was an amazing feeling. We started talking to the first Park District in December of 2008. We agreed in principle sometime in the March/April? We gave the Park Districts language to use in their catalogs early in the summer? And then on September 27th. It happened. 15 women all with skates on. Yeay. We did it. It was amazing. And they improved in their very first hour of skating. They were falling and stopping like old hands. It was awesome. And exciting.

I stayed on for the Derby Lite: Original (that's the name for us skaters who have been in Derby Lite for a while and who still operated independently of the Park District) practice. Under Poppy's leadership we practiced a drill that included 2 minutes of lots of little steps, almost like running. I get going too fast though. That's what life has been like in the past year. I run run run run run, and then have to break because I'm going faster than I can handle. Skates and life. Yup, that's the Rolling Lane. And I'm glad it's still rolling out in front of me.

No comments: