Monday, October 12, 2009

Skating Year 3, just like Year 1

Somewhere back in year one of Derby Lite there was an article about us in the local paper. And I think I was quoted as saying the skating was a kind of zen experience (or at least I was thinking that at the time) because it I find I have to focus and have to be present (which as many of us know isn't always, or ever, easy). It's really hard to think about kids or job or anything else while you are concentrating on doing something very specific physically. The one time I got hurt with more than a bruise I was doing something fairly straightforward and realized I wasn't paying attention. I sprained 2 fingers. There is little daydreaming or anxiety thinking when skating. And I think that is why I love skating most.

Yesterday afternoon, I was in a huge hurry to get to practice, not in a great mood. And thinking this isn't "my skating" time because I'm there participating as a part of the "Derby Lite" instructional/management/getting stuff done team for the Park District class. I wasn't getting excited about it. And then Helsa Wayton was there, getting us moving. Even if she "lowered it a notch" it was still hard even before we got on skates. And I like working hard, and I like breaking down how we skate. It didn't matter that this was a beginner class, and that I know how to do crossovers, I found ways to be challenged, and yes, I got to focus. I was able to laugh with fun women. My mind cleared. I got the same thing out of it I always do and left happier than when I got there. This is why I love skating and love Derby Lite.

I know it's not skating per se that is magical, but we all need something that will let us get out of our own heads. We should all celebrate when we find it. Because finding it, and doing it, no matter what "it" is, is magical. So I'm celebrating skating. What are you celebrating?

No comments: